Menu

Vegetarian Grape leaves (Wara2 Enab Bzeit) - ورق عنب بالزيت


In this recipe, you need to eyeball the amount of grape leaves, depending on the size of the leaves too. So I'm just gonna assume that we're using 100gr of leaves and here's a useful tip: if you roll them all and still have some filling left, very simple: stuff a potato, tomato or a bellpepper!

Filling Ingredients:
1 big tomato or 2 medium ones diced.
1 medium onion diced
3/4 cup of rice (any kind, I prefer white)
1 bunch of fresh parsley chopped
Juice of 1 big lemon or 2 small
1/2 tablespoon of allspice (or 7 spices)
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1/2 cup of olive oil (or a bit more)

Preparing the Pan:
Take few leaves and line them up in the bottom of the pan (why? cause grape leaves stick quickly to any pan! and then add on top of those the sliced potato.

If you are using fresh grape leaves, soak them in hot water and some salt for half an hour, or until completely soft then drain. If you are using the ones that you buy in the jar, soak them in warm water for few minutes then let them drain.

- Mix all the ingredients together and get ready to roll.
Rolling grape leaves:
Cut the stems if there's any and start adding the filling in the middle of the leaf, then fold the sides and roll while pressing a bit to let the juice out and also to make it a bit tight so it doesn't fall apart. (just like spring rolls). Then line them up in the pan on top of the potato layer. After you finish, get a plate that can fit inside the pan, flip it upside down and place it on top of the grape leaves to press them so when they start cooking they don't fall apart. Now add water just to cover them and let them cook on medium for about 12 minutes, if they boil too much reduce the heat. It's optional to add more lemon juice while they cook. Tasting one is always better to check if they're done :)

8 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds delicious! Sadly the image with the post was not loading for me, I would liked to have seen the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry about that, if it still doesn't show I can email you the photo. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are almost identical to the ones I make - I add cumin and pine nuts. They are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Thank you for the recipe. I love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Michelle (mush) :) I am gald you like my site! I like yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im sorry, is the rice pre cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melis,
    Thanks for stopping by :) The rice is washed, soaked for few minutes in water then drained and used in the stuffing. This way, it won't take too long to cook. Hope my answer was helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was searching for a solution on the yellowing of Grape Leaves in my home and saw your blog. I loved your Grape Leaves recipe. Now I can make that one at home. I wanted to taste it while I was working in Saudi Arabia. But I could not. I am also a Graphic designer and loves to cook too.. I love Middle East Food very much.

    ReplyDelete

Moi!

authorHello, my name is MAG. I've been running this blog since 2007. Follow me on Social Media!!!
Learn More →



Photos