Menu

Meghli (Lebanese Rice pudding) - المغلي


Meghli is a kind of Lebanese rice pudding prepared in special occasions especially when a baby is born. It is a tradition to serve it to guests and friends when they come to offer their congratulations. It is also served on Christmas Eve's dinner along with the Yule Log. Most people nowadays prepare it all the time not only on occasions.

Serves 7-8 (of the same size of the serving bowl shown in the photo)

Ingredients:
1 cup of rice flour
1 cup of sugar
8 cups of water
1 tbsp of ground caraway seeds
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground anis seeds

For the topping:
Raw almonds, pistachios, walnuts and coconut flakes.

In the cooking pot, add the cups of water, rice flour, whisk or stirr until desolved, then add the sugar until it desolves too. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Add the spices: caraway, cinnamon, anis seeds. The pudding can easily stick so you can't leave it. Stirr until it thickens then transfer into the serving bowls and let it cool. Meanwhile, add water to the alomds and pistachios and let them sit until they soften (about half to an hour or so). Before serving the pudding, top it with coconut flakes, then almonds and pistachios then serve. Or you can decorate the bowls and leave them in the refrigerator.

6 comments:

  1. Mag, this looks delicious! My mom and MIL both make something similar to to this, and I love it. I think I should try making your recipe solo:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so great. I just love rice pudding. I am going to have to try this sometime for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, just found your blog.. absolutely love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Farida,
    I am telling you, our cuisines have so many things in common! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jenn!!! Glad you like this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Zita! Thanks for finding my blog. Happy to hear that :) I will visit yours right away!

    ReplyDelete

Moi!

authorHello, my name is MAG. I've been running this blog since 2007. Follow me on Social Media!!!
Learn More →



Photos